If you’re losing your hair, you’re not alone. About three in five men deal with some degree of hair loss by the time they’re 50 years old, and roughly half of all women experience noticeable hair loss at some point in their lives.
Luckily, ongoing advances in scalp therapies and transplant techniques mean that your hair restoration options have come a long way — and results are better than ever. For most people dealing with hair loss, there are effective treatments that can work to restore a full head of healthy hair.
Here at RVA Regenerative Wellness in Midlothian, Virginia, our team takes an individualized, multimodal approach to hair loss that effectively stops the process in its tracks, reinvigorates dormant follicles, and reverses thinning hair for good.
Read on as DHI hair transplant specialist Jennylle Zanzi, FNP-C, discusses the ins and outs of hair loss, and explains when it may be the right time to consider hair restoration.
Depending on your hair color, your scalp has 90,000 to 150,000 hair follicles. When your hair is healthy and growing normally, 90% of your hair follicles are nourishing growing hair shafts, and the remaining 10% are resting or shedding old shafts of hair.
It’s perfectly normal for your scalp to shed about 50-100 hairs daily. But when it routinely sheds more hair than it actively replaces, you may begin to see the consequences in the form of noticeable thinning, recession, or balding.
Excessive hair shedding is a common but temporary problem that may be triggered by illness, chronic stress, significant weight loss, or postpartum hormonal changes, among other things. This short-term hair loss issue usually resolves itself within a few months.
By comparison, long-term hair loss occurs when something causes the ratio of active to inactive hair follicles to become imbalanced, making it impossible for your follicles to replace your hair as quickly as you shed it.
Clinical hair loss can be caused by chronic illness, a thyroid disorder, a hormone imbalance, a severe nutritional deficiency, or an autoimmune disorder such as alopecia areata. Most often, however, it’s a result of androgenetic alopecia or the genetic predisposition to hair loss that’s simply part of your family history.
If you’re affected by noticeably thinning hair, you may be wondering whether there’s anything you can do to slow or stop your hair loss and whether hair restoration is a viable treatment option for you.
When treating hair loss, there’s no single ideal timeframe for everyone. With that in mind, the following factors can help you determine if it’s the right time to consider it:
Given that major stress, short-term hormonal changes, and even wearing tight, pulled-back hairstyles can trigger temporary hair loss, it’s a good idea to see your doctor, dermatologist, or another hair expert when you suddenly start losing your hair. There’s a good chance we can reverse or resolve your hair loss simply by finding and treating its underlying cause.
However, if your hair loss is steady and more gradual — particularly if some of your relatives have male pattern baldness or female pattern hair loss — there’s a greater chance that genetics is the main culprit behind your hair loss problem. If so, the right hair restoration treatment can help.
Sometimes, the key to successful hair loss treatment is all in a timely diagnosis. This is true for women who have female pattern hair loss, as well as anyone who starts going bald at the center of their scalp, a condition called central centrifugal cicatricial alopecia.
In both cases, getting a prompt diagnosis and starting treatment as early as possible can give you a better chance of stopping the process and experiencing healthy hair regrowth. There’s no need to wait for your hair loss to progress before you seek treatment.
Whether you’re dealing with a bald patch, a receding hairline, or thinning hair, hair restoration is a worthwhile consideration if you feel self-conscious or dissatisfied when you see yourself in the mirror. The first step is talking to a hair loss and restoration expert like Jennylle Zanzi to find out what your options are.
To learn more about the hair restoration services at RVA Regenerative Wellness — including platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy and Direct Hair Implantation® — call 786-971-0914 or use our easy online booking feature to schedule a consultation today.